Saturday, June 26, 2010

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

So this year I decided that I wanted to vote for the Hugos. Also, at $50 for a supporting membership, I am able to read all the Hugo nominees at a slightly reduced rate. I think I got about 6 books and 2-3 more books worth of material. Given that some of the books are still out in hardcover, it seems like a good deal.

The first one I read is Boneshaker. I was relieved that the steampunk aspect of the book was not overpowering. Yes, the characters wear goggle and gas masks (a major part of steampunk, going by what people wear to cons), but there was a reason and though the masks were often mentioned, the descriptions didn't belabor how neat people looked with masks. In the end, this book was pretty good. It wasn't amazing. I don't think Boneshaker will get my vote because it doesn't leave me desperately wanting more, which should be a characteristic of Hugo winners.

Pages: 416

No comments:

Post a Comment