Monday, July 5, 2010

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

Hugo Award nominee number three. I've been doing other things with my time this week, so it's been a long time since I started this book. Also, I realized that I forgot to include the last Hugo book I read, so I'll enter that after this.

I enjoyed The Windup Girl. I liked the science and the attention to detail, including using tropical fruits in metaphors. I was a little disappointed that it ended up being about how a windup girl (Japanese gene-crafted person who has jerky movements, but is evolutionarily better in almost all other ways) finds herself and survives. The male and female characters balance well, with some strong characters pulling the plot on both sides.

I'm not sure that I'll vote for The Windup Girl. It is good, but not amazing. On the other hand, despite the near-apocolyptic future due to genetic engineering, this book ends up hopeful, which isn't particularly true of either of the other Hugo books I've read. I have decided not to read Julian Comstock by Robert Charles Wilson or The City & the City by China MiƩville as both promised to be incredibly graphic and depressing.

Pages: 300

No comments:

Post a Comment