Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter

This was the used book I purchased at Borderlands. I've been meaning to read something by Baxter, but never seem to remember when I'm at the library.

I initially didn't even want to start reading this book. It take up where Well's Time Machine leaves off. I appreciate that Well's was very important to science fiction, but I do not enjoy any of his books. The writing style annoys me, particularly the first person narration by an annoying person who really enjoys pontificating. The Time Ships keeps the narrator, but makes him a little less annoying and writes a much more interesting story. This story becomes slightly tedious when it goes through various periods of history and far too didactic. I don't really need a lesson in both the futility of life and that people need to go on afterward. However, this was good enough to spend my travel day reading.

Pages: 544

No comments:

Post a Comment