Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fford

I liked Shades of Gray, so I figured some other Fford novels might be good. I was very frustrated at the library because none of the books I looked at would tell me any other books that Fford wrote or the series order. I ended up using the library catalog.

I was a little disappointed and a little impressed. Fford does a good job of writing fantasy that isn't about good vs. evil. He takes the standard Earth and changes one major thing and then writes a story. This was a detective story. He even managed to work in vampires in a non-annoying way, though I won't mention how because that would give it away. But the writing in Eyre Affair was sometimes annoying. Sort of like Fford grew up reading Dan Brown and the horror was only mostly beat out of him. Some really stupid phrases and cliches. Annoying foreshadowing at times. But on the whole I liked this book. I have some more of the Thursday Next books on my reading list.

Pages: 384

No comments:

Post a Comment