Sunday, August 22, 2010

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

I purchased this book at Borderlands. The staff there is fairly helpful--I am doing my early Christmas shopping and wanted a sci-fi or fantasy book for my cousin. Her parents are rather religious and tend not to let her read a lot of stuff. I got her Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for last Christmas and that was not acceptable. Levaithan was the suggestion made by the Borderlands staff. It is steampunk and apparently slightly subversive, but doesn't have any magic or undead people.

The book was okay. A very fast read (three or four hours) with somewhat compelling characters. Maybe I just don't connect as well with teenage characters. I don't want to search out the next book right now, but I would be willing to read it if I came across it. I think a very interesting book could be written in this universe, with the steam/biopunk interactions. The genetic engineering is less polished than in universes such as The Windup Girl. Levaithan is good enough as a gift for my cousin, but I'll wait for her reaction before buying the next in the series.

Pages: 440

No comments:

Post a Comment